|Ricardo J. Lopez
SUMMARY OF EXPERIENCE
Successful, results-generating systems and software engineering
professional with extensive experience working within teams, supervising
technical personnel, and exceeding technical design and development
goals and objectives. Areas of expertise include extensive systems,
hardware and software knowledge, practical experience in the developing,
maintaining, and improving engineering processes, and excellent
interpersonal communication. Recognized leader and mentor in the
software profession with excellent public speaking skills.
PROFESSIONAL WORK EXPERIENCE
San Diego, CA USA
Qualcomm Incorporated (Nasdaq: QCOM), a leading developer and
innovator of advanced wireless technologies and data solutions.
1/2001 - Present
As a managing principal engineer,
I was responsible for project success both in their technical
achievement and program management.
* Fostered and maintained effective product development practices.
* Reported to chief scientist.
* Ensured product quality from the systems architectural perspective
down thru design and construction. Introduced new product lines to meet
the companies' strategic vision and objectives.
* Made direct recommendations to the CEO, COO and president of the
CDMA Technologies division on all matters pertaining to effective
engineering leadership and execution.
Diego, CA USA
Tiernan Communications Inc. was a leader in the field of Professional
Standard Definition and High Definition digital encoders and decoders.
Director Software Systems
7/1999 - 1/2001
director of software systems, I was responsible for all product line
architectures (hardware and software) and the successful execution of
* Introduced effective product development practices.
* Reported to VP Systems Engineering.
*Establish a software architecture group and fostered the mentoring
of the engineering disciplines allowing us to nurture and grow the
professional excellence of our individual contributors.
* Made direct recommendations to the CEO on all matters pertaining to
effective engineering leadership and execution
*Directed all development engineering operations for the HD product
lines, Network transport devices, and advanced multiplexing devices.
Pomona, CA USA
Rockwell Collins is a leader in the aerospace and defense industries.
As a premier developer of avionics for commercial, regional and GA
aircrafts, Rockwell Collins has become a name synonymous with trust.
Chief Architect, Passenger Systems
9/1996 - 7/1999
Responsible for overall avionics
system design and oversight over system development.
* Innovated revolutionary approaches to onboard in flight self
diagnostics drastically reducing turn-around time for repair and
substantially increasing system availability of the in-flight
* Reported to Sr. Director of System Engineering.
Hills, CA USA
Windsong Technology Group
Windsong Technology Group was a consulting house specializing in
software innovation for startups and small firms.
Principal Software Architect
5/1994 - 9/1996
principal software architect, I was responsible for the architecture,
design and implementation of the target products. I was additionally
responsible for managing the customer relationship.
* Performed research to solve specific design problems.
* Provided design assistance for complex engineering assignments
including products, parts, components, and portions of major projects.
* Completed work according to standard engineering principles and
Lake Forest, CA USA
JDS Microprocessing was a leader in the field of IBM replacement
cluster controllers and front end processors.
6/1986 - 5/1994
As Chief Architect, I was
responsible for product architecture and design and the successful
leadership and execution of the development product.
* Innovated the companies mainstream advance cluster controllers that
for the first time in the industry, for an IBM clone device, implemented
the full suite of protocols on the IBM 360 I/O channel.
* Reported to chief executive officer.
* Advanced the art of multiprocessor bus design and introduced the
first 256 core front end processor with a combined memory capacity of
4GB (immense for its time).
* Introduce C++ for embedded systems and developed the techniques to
avoid improper application of the technology for high performance and
high availability systems.
Anaheim, CA USA
Arium corporation was a leader in low cost logic analyzers and
emulators for the embedded microprocessors of the time. This included
the 6800, 6800 and x86 families of microprocessors.
4/1985 - 6/1986
principal engineer, I was responsible for sub-product architecture,
design and construction. My area of concern was the analyzer's and
emulator's internal OS and I/O driver subsystem.
* Reported to chief operating officer.
* Directed all development activities for my responsibility area.
Brea, CA USA
RJL Associates was a consulting DBA through which several development
contracts in robotics, aerospace and communication systems was
Principal Software Consultant
6/1981 - 5/1986
As the principal software
consultant I was responsible for all contracts and their successful
* Carried out research and development in the areas of robotics, 4th
generation virtual machines and machine languages, and advanced
* Introduced OO techniques to highly available embedded systems,
heralding in the era of OO programming.
* Developed embedded RTOS techniques that were adopted by many
mainstream embedded RTOS vendors in the coming years.
Anaheim, CA USA
Nixdorf Computer Software Company
Nixdorf Computer Software Company was a leader in the IBM mainframe
Manager Software Development, West Coast
6/1980 - 6/1981
the managing director of software development, I was responsible for the
IBM DOS/VS operating system replacement product (EDOS/VS). My specialty
was the tape/disk/console I/O subsystems.
* Reported to VP Engineering.
* Introduced a Product Line approach to the Tape/Disk management
products and their drivers. This improved evolutionary response to new
tape and disk technologies being introduced by IBM.
* Architected the foundations of the VTAM replacement product,
demonstrating that the design and construction of a complex subsystem
can be delivered within an order of magnitude less time and effort than
then industry productivity metrics would suggest.
San Diego, CA USA
General Automation was for a time amongst the top 3 minicomputer
manufactures, leading in factory automation and numerical control
Lead Systems Developer
5/1974 - 6/1980
As the lead systems developer, I
was responsible for the design and construction of many products and
contract systems. I specialized in the area of the OS infrastructure
essential for highly available control systems.
* Supervised and led
subordinate Software Engineers.
* Formulated operating systems advancements and implemented
* Provided analysis related to software design and development and
solved several significant and critical problems.
* Evaluated impact of hardware on software performance and
recommended changes to hardware designers.
* Created and produced complex software control systems. Extended the
companies OS product line with added fault tolerance capabilities in the
EDUCATION & CERTIFICATIONS
Institute of Geology and Engineering 1976
Caracas, Distrito Capital
Metropolitan University 1978
Caracas, Distrito Capital Venezuela
* ACM Since 1975
* IEEE Since 1986
* Computer Society Since 1986
* WWISA Since 1999
* IGDA Since 1999
"No Silver Bullet" Reloaded - A Retrospective on "Essence and Accidents
of Software Engineering" - OOPSLA 2007 Panelist
* The Ultra Challenge: Software Systems Beyond Big - OOPSLA 2006
* Fostering Software Robustness in an Increasingly Hostile World -
OOPSLA 2005 Panelist
* Challenges in Outsourcing and Global Development: How Will Your Job
Change? - OOPSLA 2004 Panelist
* Software Test - Beyond Proof; A lecture at Qualcomm Inc. 2005
* Agile Principles - A Lecture at Qualcomm Inc. 2006
* Theory and Practice of Best of Class Software Development - A
Lecture at Qualcomm Inc. 2007
* Source Configuration Management - The Real Truth - A Lecture at
Qualcomm Inc. 2008
AWARDS & HONORS
* Rockwell Collins Engineer of the
SATELLITE ANTICIPATORY BANDWIDTH ACCELERATION
* MULTIMEDIA TRANSMISSION USING VARIABLE ERROR CODING RATE BASED ON
* MULTISIGNING - A PROTOCOL FOR ROBUST MULTIPLE PARTY DIGITAL
* MULTI-CHANNEL COMMUNICATION SYSTEM AND METHOD BASED ON CLASS OF
Director of Engineering Principal Engineer Systems Engineer Software
Engineer Systems Architect Software Architect.
* System Engineering Software Engineering Systems Architecture
Software Architecture Object Oriented Design Object Oriented Programming
Component Oriented Software Agile Methodologies Disciplined
* Program Management Engineering Leadership Engineering Execution
* Lectures in software excellence and a software industry panelist.
* C C++ Java C# Python Lua Corba linux unix windows RTOS RTES OOP OOD
OOA COM OS kernel driver communications mobile embedded microprocessor
multiprocessor multicore avionics networking digital broadcast
multimedia game development.